In 1896,Maharshi Dhondo Keshav Karve set up an Ashram at Hinge, Poona to educate widows and other women as he believed in empowerment through education.
The Mahila College started by Hindu Widows Home Association, was then established in 1916 as Indian Women's University with 5 students.
In 1921 a plot of 24 acres of land was purchased for the college building at Yerandavana, Poona
Pune campus houses following institutions and facilities:
- SNDT Arts & Commerce College
- SNDT College of Home Science
- SNDT College of Education
- Two hostels for students
- Library building
- Tarapore hall
- School building (Kanyashala)
- PGSR Building housing 8 PG departments
- Department of Communication & Media Studies
- Department of Adult, Continuing Education and Extension Work
- Guest House